Inertia

Some miscellaneous, not fully connected thoughts at the moment . . . but, considering the Semiotic Square in relation to narrative I started to consider the notion of INERTIA which, within its definition/description contains/envelopes its own opposite: motion and stasis. but also stasis in motion, that is, unchanging motion (unless, of course, acted upon by some outside force -- which could be a stationary object . . . and so on). This led to considerations of the role (roll?) of inertia in affecting/effecting (I won't say here "promoting") narrative progression. Which then led to considerations of the relation to a recent topic of discussion among some narratologists: narrative "speed."

Like I said: miscellaneous and certainly not fully connected nor fully thought out. But, that said, there IS something there, something worth considering and perhaps there might even be a paper or article hidden in there.

If only I could overcome my intertia!

No comments:

Post a Comment