Feelin' folksy . . .

I am listenin' to our local NPR station (Las Cruces, KRWG) and feelin' a bit nostalgic. Or is that maudlin (without a 'g')? The "show" or "program" that is on this time of night is called The Back Porch. And the host, Benji Rivas, plays a lot of folk, country, bluegrass, and COWBOY music. There are few things in this world like a pedal-steel guitar and some Hank Williams-style cryin' in yer beer music. Does the heart and mind good. It calls up dim recollections of playin' bar billiards on dollar beer nights and listenin' to Jimmy Buffet on the jukebox. Or, evenings at The Sugared Mule, in Colorado Springs. Or, Cafe Lena in Saratoga, NY. Or, Red Rocks outside of Denver. Or . . . the list could go on forever. Large parts of my past, including friend's living rooms and patios, are filled with this kind of music. It was on a night like this that I tracked down an old roommate from my pre-Navy days (daze?); and . . . he was still out there and still listening to this sort of music. It is on nights like this that I prowl the amazon.com mp3 music lists and spend money that I know I should not.

Ain't life grand . . . now Benji's playin' some sort of big band/country mix. Yow!

No comments:

Post a Comment